A Blip Of Life As An AuPair In Holland!

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Finally on my own!

   Today was a bit busy, but smooth. I cooked the kids dinner and got them ready by 6 while Myriam went to practice her golfing. Max only had 1 major fit, which is good. I burned my hand a bit, but I will live. In an hour some dude is coming to measure my wall to put up a magnetic black board! Very cool. Also, the internet dude is coming tomorrow. Cross your fingers that he knows what he is doing. They are pretty good to me here. Now all I need is an advil because my back hurts from bending over and wiping runny noses or picking up toys! hahahah 

Ok Next:  
My Madre had a few questions so I am going to answer them Beck-Dogg Style on here! ... 

"How is it trying to read labels in a foreign Language?"
 * Haha Well a lot of words sound the same so if you try to pronounce them out loud you can pretty much figure them out. like 15 minutes is all you really need to figure out or whatever it may be! 

"Are you getting used to Euros and Change?" 
  * Slowly but surely. The bills threw me off the first day or two, but after that I was fine. I am still struggling with the change. I HATE CHANGE! haha So i always just use bills and then realize I have about 10 Euros in change in my wallet. Plus it is a pain to count it out when I have to look at each one to make sure it is right. In a week or two I will get it!

"Do they allow cashiers to sit down?" 
   *Yup they sure do. At least where I am they do. All of the grocery type stores have had stools for the cashiers. 

"Have you gotten used to metric and the street signs?" 
   *Nope! lol The kids have been sick and I had to take their temperature. I felt silly asking Myriam if 38.8 was high. It sure is! lol My room is set at about 19-20* and I have no clue what that is. I do have a converter on my lappy though. I will have to start using it. I will really have a problem once I have to bake them cookies! hehhee

A few more interesting things I have also noticed. They are a lot more "Eco-Friendly" here! *Grocery stores don't usually give you bags. You bring your own! It kinda makes me wish I had bought one of those nice green Harmens bags for 99 cents! 
*They are required to put some stuff that gets rid of calcium in their tea pots, washers, and other things. 
*The Dryers don't always have the tube that leads outside. It is a resivor that collects all the water. Then you have to empty it every 5 or so loads. 
*People ride bikes EVERYWHERE! I LOVE IT! 

   There is a ton more, but I can't think of it now! Pretty cool though. I like that they are a little more ahead hear as far as conservation goes. Ok well I should go now. I love the questions so keep asking! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very interesting stuff. The U.S. has never been eco-friendly like they should. It blew me away when I could only take a bath, wash clothes, etc. during certain hours in Italy since they rationed water. Here, people think they can take a twenty minute shower and wash a ton of clothes daily and the water is endless.
By the way do you get US news there? Do you remember Heath Ledger (28 yrs old actor)? He passed away yesterday. Very sad. They did an autopsy, but they can't conclusively discern how he died yet. They don't think it was foul play or illegal drugs.