A Blip Of Life As An AuPair In Holland!

Friday, January 18, 2008

Amsterdam and silly fits

Yesterday I finally got a chance to go to Amsterdam! I was only there for about an hour before I had to RUSH home to pick Lisa up from school, but what I saw seemed great. I rode a train there. It wasn't a bullet train or anything. It was more like a Real train on tracks. It was way cool. Once I was there I went to sign up for my Dutch lessons and then went on a hunt. I needed to find 2 books for my class. The school gave me a list of book stores that should carry it. 
   So, I started with the one that was supposed to be the closest. I was in a rush and wish I could have had more time to look around. At first glance it seems like a regular city. Which I guess it is, but it's more unique. The buildings are all very old and most look original. Canals line the streets and there are TONS of bridges. The shopping seems endless. Around every corner is another square with street vendors, flower booths, and name brand stores. I was there on a Monday. So, I am guessing that this is a normal everyday thing to have vendors on the streets everywhere. The Canals enthralled me because they don't have anything blocking people or cars from falling in! No fences or poles to stop some crazy people from driving right in! =D Anyhow, my quest for a school book was pointless because the closest bookstore ended up being FAR away and they didn't even have the books! We ended up ordering them online. I ran all the way back to the station and hopped on the Metro. From the Metro I get off at a stop (which I missed) so that I can get on a train. 
   Once I finally made it to the train I asked the ticket lady if I could buy a return ticket. I guess she didn't understand and told me the one I had in my hand was still good to get me home! So I said ok and got on the train for free. hahahah The guy came around this time to check tickets and got upset at me, but let me go without paying. I was just happy to be on the right train home. A cute little old lady heard me talking to the ticket guy and started a conversation with me. She automatically knew I was from America and started asking questions. In the end I got a wonderful story about Naarden and where she lives. She showed me all her favorite things to watch from the train. There are some very pretty lakes and farms on the trip home. Its crazy you start out seeing brick walls with colorful dutch graffiti. Which I loved...one of the walls had "RUN DMC" written on it. Then Slowly the city disappears and you are in the country side. We even saw a guy out plowing his fields! I can't wait to go back. I just want to take a day to explore with no reason to hurry. I will take pictures. I think Becky wants to stay at her house and practice driving, but I may attempt to explore a little. 
   One quick thing I thought was funny today. I may have mentioned that Max (age 4) always has little tantrums. Well they all do, but Max does it the most. Today he was a SWEET little angel for me all day. Max, Beaudine and I all played while Lisa and her mom went to pick up a present for a friends birthday. Well, bath time came to an end he finally got upset. I guess I was just waiting for it to happen. He refused help and didn't want to dress himself. Finally I just told him to dress himself (he is very capable of doing so) and I left the room with Beaudine to go eat dinner. I guess I am over the fits and think that is the best way to handle it. The less attention he gets over it the better. Ok so here is the funny part. I went to say goodnight to all of them. When we told him I was leaving and to say goodnight he came running across the room. I picked him up and he kissed me and said goodbye. It was way cute and silly. I think deep down he is slowly learning to like me, but he just doesn't want to give in so easily! 
   Well that is all. I will let you all know how my weekend goes. Goodnight!

3 comments:

Beckysue.sweet said...

sorry I couldn't join you! Another weekend!

rachael said...

so has your family had an aupair before? they seem to be real organized! with your schedule and all... ya know! thats nice i think!!!!

wow-- how very brave of you to go to amsterdam alone!

remember when we were going to go there-- hehehe---

so when your not working on weekends-- what are you going to do??

Wendy mammuccia said...

Before you know it, you'll know all the train and bus #'s and routes to get where you need to go. You are fortunate to have so many around you that speak English. In Italy, very few spoke English. So, had to learn words... then phrases...then sentences and conjugation (oh joy)!

So, waiting for more on your latest trip. This is great stuff! Also, what's with the word verification below. Who can't see this correctly???