A Blip Of Life As An AuPair In Holland!

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The story of Thanksgiving in Holland

Yes, I know it's already December 9th and I am BARELY blogging about thanksgiving. Get over it! hehe

Becky and I decided to show our Dutch families what Thanksgiving was like for us. We set a menu, date, and prepared for the big day. We were worried there might be fighting, because it has happened before. However, we got along GREAT and worked like a fantastic team. Nils was put in charge of the turkey. He had to pre-order the bird and decided to have it pre-stuffed. At a whopping 3.5kilos (about 10 pounds hehe tiny) this lovely centerpiece of the dinner was NOT cheap! Take a seat kids...€60 for the Turkey. However from what I heard it was a VERY tasty FRENCH Turkey. The stuffing was way different then what we use for stuffing, but thats just fine. Everyone still liked it. We started our prep work on Saturday making all the pies and storable items, then finished sunday morning before dinner at 4pm. On sunday, after the rolls were raising, Becky put her creative hand to work. She had the little kiddies make paper hats with feathers on them! They were REALLY cute and Lisa had a lot of fun helping Becky. While Nils got the Turkey in the oven we were "kicked" out of the kitchen. hehe So, Becky had a brilliant idea of making centerpieces. Myriam has a bunch of lovely vases and outside the leaves were falling. It turns out we are both pretty good at making professional looking centerpieces. It was the perfect touch! The sunday rotation of food in the oven was like a well thought out dance. We had planned ahead and been prepared. The food was set on the kitchen counter buffet style and still warm! Here was the menu for the day:

Grazing Snacks:
*Black & Green Olives
*FRESH Glazed Pecans
*FRESH Spinach Dip

Dinner:
*Turkey w/Stuffing inside
*Fresh Gravy
*Fresh Cranberry Sauce
*Mashed Potatoes
*Deviled Eggs
*Rolls(handmade by Becky) w/ Honey Butter
*Green Bean Casserole
*Layered Salad

Dessert:
*3 Pumpkin Pies! (made out of Fresh Pumpkin)
*1 Apple pie (made with fresh apples off of Becky's apple tree!)
*1 Lemon Meringue Pie

Everything seemed to turn out REALLY GREAT. We got a lot of nice compliments and I think they liked it all. The only mess-up was the lemon meringue. While it tasted great, it refused to gel up properly. So one small tragedy is worth it when the rest was a success! I ENCOURAGE you all to go read Becky's Blog on the big day. Here is Her replay of SATURDAY and SUNDAY! Check them both out. She had some fun details and pictures that I don't have yet. Be sure to keep an eye out for a slide show. I will post in in the next hour or so! Hope you love it!

Up Next is SINTERKLAAS DAG! Tune in again Tomorrow! heheheee

No comments: